Following its debut at CES earlier this year, the security-focused Blackphone is now shipping to its first pre-order customers.
The Blackphone runs a version of Android 4.4 KitKat known as “PrivatOS” that offers beefed up security. The additional security features of the Blackphone include:
- Private communications: Blackphone features private encrypted voice and video calls and text messaging with attachments via Silent Circle's, Silent Phone and Silent Text apps created by Phil Zimmermann and Jon Callas, giving users the freedom to communicate securely anywhere they find cellular or Wi-Fi connections.
- Wi-Fi security: The included Kismet Smarter Wi-Fi Manager prevents Wi-Fi hotspots from capturing Blackphone users' wireless connection history and other information that could be used to track users' locations or patterns of activity and information about sensitive office or home networks.
- Security Center: Gives owners complete control over application permissions, allowing immediate changes without rebooting or reinstalling.
- Remote wipe and protect: A powerful remote wipe tool gives Blackphone owners further peace of mind in having the ability to control their phone's data from anywhere in the world.
- Anonymous Web browsing and VPN: Disconnect Search is the default search provider for Blackphone, offering private browsing protection from invasive Web monitoring by hiding users' IP address, browser cookies and personal information. Blackphone also features Disconnect's Secure Wireless app, which is a smart VPN designed to prevent eavesdropping over Wi-Fi and cellular networks.
- Private cloud storage: Blackphone owners can access files in SpiderOak's private encrypted cloud service right from their mobile device, knowing only they have the means to decrypt and access their private files.
The Blackphone’s hardware spec list includes a 4.7-inch HD IPS display, 2GHz quad-core Tegra 4i processor, 1GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, a microSD card slot and both HSPA+ and LTE connectivity. The device also includes an 8-megapixel rear camera and a 5-megapixel front-facing shooter and is powered by a 2000mAh battery.
While the initial batch of Blackphone units are already sold out, SGP Technologies says that it will begin accepting new orders from the Blackphone store on July 14. Pricing for the Blackphone is set at $629.
Are any of you interested in the Blackphone?
Via Blackphone (PRNewswire)